Thursday, April 12, 2012

What Happened to Once Upon A Time?

Please comment on this and give me your feedback! This is a story I am writing!


Prologue~

The doctor walked over to the examining table, syringe in hand.  Thick red-orange liquid filled the tube connected to the long, intimidating needle. Obsession and masochism showed in his dark eyes, scaring the victim tied down to the table in front of him. He grabbed the victim’s small arm, plunging the shot in without pity. Screams rang through the room, but no farther, for the walls were soundproof.

         The mentally disturbed “doctor” smiled and watched as the liquid he injected spread, turning the victim’s veins black as coal. Screams continued to pierce the air, and the victim thrashed about the metal table. Luckily, the straps held the victim from doing anything further than that.

         Hours upon hours passed of pain and screams, and then all sound cut off suddenly. Erie silence commenced, spooking the doctor slightly. The victim’s head turned toward the doctor, but their eyes were shut tightly. Shivers ran down the doctor’s spine, though he didn’t know why. Silence suddenly seemed deafening and the room seemed smaller than he would have liked. The doctor didn’t have claustrophobia and had never show any signs of it, until now. He wanted OUT, and he would do anything to get there. Running as fast as possible, he sprinted towards the door. Just as he was going to wrench it open, he felt as though he was being watched. Quaking in his shoes, he turned around. Ice blue eyes stared back at him from the table.

A baby girl. Born and experimented on on January first, the start of a new year. The start of a new race. The start of a miracle.

The start of the hybrids.

Blair Kyle Tora. A shapeshifter capable of controlling vicious fire.


Chapter One~

“You will behave!” my mother screamed at me for the hundredth time. I sighed, placing my elbow on the freezing desk and leaning my head on my hand. I never paid attention in my supernatural classes, I wanted adventure. I wanted to explore the land, run until my feet ~or paws~ bled. My parents always said I was a disgrace to our town of shapeshifters, a shame for a hybrid. I always wondered what other shapeshifter towns would think of me, but for some reason my parents wouldn’t let me out of the town walls.

         “Blair Kyle Tora, are you even listening?” my mom asked tiredly. Her black hair and gray eyes represented her snow leopard blood, but her petite body looked worn and tired. My dad was out, probably with the hunting group. Every time I volunteered to go, they would all say no. That’s all my life has been. No Blair, you can’t do that. No you can’t do that either. It was getting quite tiring. My father’s main Shift was a Bengal tiger. So, his hair was a red-orange color and his eyes are a deep brown.

         Every Shifter had their main Shift. This was what they morph into most. Other morphs could be slightly too extremely painful, while their main was smooth and easy. Your features represent your main Shift. For those who are lucky, you get a powerful animal but for those who are unlucky, you get a prey animal. Once, there was a lady who Shifted into a parrot. Her hair was rainbow!
        
         Personally, my main shift was a white tiger. I believed my features represented that quite well. Paper white hair with coal black streaks (it’s all natural, I swear) flowed a few inches past my waist with side bangs covering my right eye. Ice blue eyes practically cut through you, into your soul. My long, tan, lean but muscled body stood before you at 5’10”, which is five inches higher than my mother and four inches below my father.

I hadn’t realized I had zoned out from my mother yelling at me until she struck me. My cheek stung in pain, and I put it together that she had slapped me. Her ring had made a slight scratch down my jaw and a trickle of blood dripped down. I lifted my hand up to gently touch it and my hand shook.

“Blair-” my mom started, reaching towards me. I smacked her hand away and stood. Quickly, I ran out the door and Shifted. My paws thumped against the ground and I shook my body, the fur rustling. I let out a loud and long roar, several responding. One extremely powerful roar responded, and I recognized it as my dad’s. Immediately, I ran toward the sound. Soon enough, I reached my father. His orange and black fur gleamed in the setting sun and I lowered my head in acknowledgement.

He Shifted back, and motioned for me to do so as well. He was wearing faded jeans with dirt stains and a plain black T-shirt, making him seem slightly paler. When I Shifted back, I was once again in my black jeans, white T-shirt with a wolf on it, and black knee-high Converse. The cut on my cheek had completely healed, leaving just a slight rise in the skin.

“What happened?” my father’s deep voice snapped me from my observations.

I shrugged, “Mom finally got tired of me not listening.”

“You need to pay attention in your classes Blair,” he rumbled. I nodded, but he sighed. “I mean it. I don’t know what to do with you.”

I flinched the slightest at his words. “I just want to see how other kids live. What are their lives like?”

“You needn’t worry about them Blair. Your life is here.”

I looked down at the ground, “Yes father.”

“Now we must go to dinner. We don’t want to keep your mother waiting.”

I followed him back to the house, lagging slightly once we get there. Without hesitation, Father walked into the house, but I didn’t follow immediately. The scent of deer assaulted my nostrils and I breathed in deeply, savoring it.

“Blair! Get in here!” my father yelled. My eyes widened slightly and I immediately scampered into the house, wondering what’s going to happen. I rushed to the dining room, taking a look at the table. A large steak sat in the middle on a platter with three places set at one end. Usually, this would’ve made my stomach grumble, but today it made me sick. Nauseously, I sat at my place. I watched as my parents sauntered in, looking determined. I swallowed.

Silently, they sat down and looked at each other, as though they were having a secret conversation with one another. Finally, after what seemed like eternity of suspense, my mother looked at me, opening her mouth to speak.

“We’ve decided, after much thought, that we cannot control you here. So, we are going to give you what you want. We are going to let you live like others do. You are going to high school.”

I cocked my head in confusion, “High school?”

“It’s where you will take your classes,” I nodded in understanding. “You will take a science, math, English, PE, Spanish, and music class. Science teaches nature, math teaches numbers, English teaches grammar, PE is exercise, and the rest are self-explanatory.”

My eyes were the size of golf balls by the end of her speech. I didn’t know what she was even talking about! Shouldn’t the kids be learning Shapeshifter things? I voiced my thoughts and my mother shook her head.

“Not everyone is a supernatural Blair. There are people who have no clue we exist since they have no special abilities of their own. You must keep it that way Blair, no telling anyone what you are. These clueless beings are called humans. You must respect them though, and respect their laws or rules.”

I nodded, still taken aback at this information. “Whom will I stay with?” I asked quietly.

“You must find your own place to stay if you really want to do this.” I nodded, knowing for sure that I wanted to.

I didn’t expect it to be hard though.

August twenty fifth, one month after our agreement and the first day of school. The start of my junior year.


         I looked out the window at the looming buildings of Camden County High School in North Carolina. I would be lying if I said this school didn’t intimidate me, for it was completely unfamiliar. My parents were getting my schedule from the office and dropping my small suitcase there until I found a place to stay. After just a few minutes, my parents came back, a paper in their hands and slight worry on their faces. Slowly, I climbed out of the truck. My black backpack matched my T-shirt, jeans, and combat boots, then semi-matched my gray and black sweatshirt. My hair was hidden under my hood and my eyes were covered in green contacts.

         My parents and I didn’t exchange a teary goodbye, not even close. We nodded, waved, then I was off, no words said at all. My schedule said the first bell would ring in forty-five minutes, so I decided to explore the school and find where my classes are before I HAD to find them.

         Thirty minutes later, I had seen all my classes. They weren’t way too far away from each other. My schedule was Physics, Calculus, English, Physical Training, Vocal IV, and Spanish. I didn’t understand what any of those meant, but I guess I was going to find out.

         Students had started to trickle in and I breathed in. I was shocked by the fact that there was no slight animalistic scents in the air like at the town. As students came, I leaned against the front wall, off to the side and ran through my schedule in my mind again. Suddenly, the sound of giggling caught my attention. I looked to my left to see a group of girls glancing at me and whispering. Was there something wrong? My eyebrows drew together slightly in puzzlement. I saw another group of girls doing the same to a guy as he walked past. It confused me greatly, since he had nothing wrong with him at all. He was quite attractive. Dirty blonde hair hung halfway down his eyes, which I couldn’t tell the color of.

         Why were the girls giggling at a guy and me? What did we have in common? It clicked. With my hood up, they couldn’t tell I was a girl. They thought…oh god…they thought I was a guy! I shook my head, shuffling slightly in discomfort. I tucked my hands in my back pockets and banged my head against the wall behind me.

         “Are you okay hot stuff?” a sickly sweet voice said from in front of me. I raised my head to see a girl with dyed blonde hair and blue eyes RIGHT in front of me. She had a pink shirt that showed WAY too much and a skirt that barely…uhh…COVERED. On her feet were four-inch pink pumps, making her as tall as me.

         I nodded tiredly and she ran her hands over my shoulders. “Need a massage?” she asked, attempting to sound seductive and failing. Her voice just grated at my ears.

         I shook my head quickly, taking her hands off my shoulders and placing them at her side. Her eyes shone with disappointment as I just walked away. As I walked, a girl with naturally blonde hair with blue streaks and brown eyes giggled lightly. She was naturally beautiful, but I wasn’t into girls like that. I didn’t have anything against people who do, but…I’m rambling.

         I entered through the school doors just as the first bell rang. Quickly, I walked to physics class. As I slid through the door into the classroom, I pulled my hood tighter around my face. Instead of going up to my teacher (who looked very welcoming with simple clothes, straight grown hair, and soft hazel eyes), I sat in a seat at the very back of the room. The class came into the room and sat down within a minute or two, and then the late bell rang. Many students sent a look my way, but otherwise ignored me.

5 comments:

  1. this is one of the best books tht i have ever read i want u to continue with this one i love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sista! That means a lot. And i am definitely continuing this one. The next part of it will be up soon, though you've already read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!! You should keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zach. This one I really like, so I am definitely continuing it. I'll have the next section of it up pretty soon.

      Delete
    2. Dang it Fluffy! You scared the heck out of me! I didn't know who you were! O.o

      Delete