Friday, June 8, 2012

What Happened To Once Upon A Time?

Alright, I apologize for not updating in awhile, but here's the next few pages of my story. PLEASE comment, critique, etc. But no flames!


“Kendra!” the brown haired girl scolded. The blonde, Kendra, apologized quickly as her face fell. I brushed it off as the teen next to me introduced everyone. “As you now know, that’s Kendra,” he started, pointing to the blonde who was now smiling brightly as she waved enthusiastically. Then, he pointed to the brown haired girl. “That’s Arianna, though she prefers Ana. Next is Callum,” he gestured to the boy next to Kendra. The teen sitting next to Ana stood, holding his hand out.

         “I’m Nate,” he told me with a wink. Thanks to reading magazines, I knew he was flirting with me. Blushing lightly, I shook his hand. He flashed a bright smile my way as he released my hand. I felt more than saw the teen next to me tense up. Once again, he put his hand on my arm to lead me away. His grip was harsher though. Everyone called his or her farewells as I was dragged off.

         Then teen stopped once we reached a shady area. We couldn’t hear anyone talking from this distance, so they couldn’t hear us.

         “What was that? Why’d you drag me away?” I asked, incredulous. His hair hung in front of his eyes as he responded.

         “I wanted to introduce myself.”

         “And you couldn’t have-” I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “Alright, go ahead.”

         He held his hand out in a calm manner. “I’m Zane.”

         Interesting name… “Blair,” I reply, shaking his slightly calloused hand. Static electricity hit my hand, and we both pulled back.

         Little did I know that little spark I felt was not related to static in the slightest.
         Zane cleared his throat, looking almost nervous as he rubbed the back of his neck. “So… do you have a cell phone?” he asked.
         I read about them in a magazine once so I knew what they were. Sighing, I shook my head. One of Zane’s eyebrows shot up, so I guessed everyone had a cell phone nowadays. My shoulders raised in a shrug as he ran a hand through his hair.
         “Okay. Where are you and your family staying?” he asked. I looked down, trying not to think about how my parents just dropped me off.        
         “I don’t know,” I finally answered. Zane looked confused.
         “How do you not know?”
         “My parents… I ran away,” I lied only because I had to. He couldn’t know the truth.
         Zane nodded. “You, umm, need a place to stay for awhile? My parents are going out of town tonight for… I don’t really know how long.”
         At first, I was thrilled. I had a good place to stay! Then came the hesitation. Two teens, different genders, alone in a house. Would he try something?
         He must have seen the look in my eyes because he raised his hands in surrender. “I won’t do anything. I wont even touch you,” and then he smirked. “Unless you want me to,” he finished, winking at me.
         I chuckled, shaking my head and lightly shoving his shoulder. He laughed along with me, and I accepted his offer for a place to stay. Our heads snapped up as the bell rang. For a moment, we watched the different groups mix into a large crowd headed different ways. Then Zane offered his hand to me, since I had fallen due to laughing so hard. A smile graced my face as I took it, standing up. To my disappointment, he let go once I was balanced. Both of us walked, in a comfortable silence, to music class. I was surprised he had this class, but went with it and entered the room for the 2nd time today.
         The teacher looked up as we entered. She had black hair that was just starting to turn silver and flowed to her shoulders. Her blue eyes met mine with a friendly smile. I ducked my head, about to go to the back when Zane grabbed my arm. I had to resist growling at him as he led me to the teacher.
         “Hello Blair, I’m Ms. Greenfeld. It’s a pleasure to meet the one who broke into my classroom.” The weird thing? She was genuinely nice the whole time she talked.
         I bit my bottom lip as Zane silently laughed. “Busted,” he mouthed to me. I sent him a quick glare as Ms. Greenfeld laughed softly. “It’s alright. Just ask me for the key next time.” I quickly nodded. “You’re an amazing musician Blair, so I trust you have a passion for music and wont damage this studio. You may go to a seat.”        
         Zane led me to two seats apart from the others. Once we were seated, our teacher began to speak.
         “Alright students. I recognize you all from previous years, except for one. As you all know, we have a new student. She just enrolled into this school. Blair, stand for a moment.” When I did so, I felt eyes raking over me. “Just like all of you, she is going to sing a song for us instead of a plain ol’ introduction.” My eyes widened. Sing? For people older than me that I don’t even know?
         Let me explain. Vocal IV is a class for seniors. Very few juniors get in, because they have to try out and meet certain requirements since they have not had vocal class all 3 full years. I honestly don’t know how I got in, since I didn’t even audition. Sure, I’m a good singer and I enjoy singing for people I know. People I don’t know? No thanks. So terror shot through my veins when Ms. Greenfeld said that, but my head still nodded. I must have looked like a deer in headlights. Going to sit on the stool at the front of the classroom, Ms. Greenfeld watched me as I mentally prepared myself. All eyes were on me. I felt a warm pressure on my left hand, and trailed my eyes down my arm to see Zane taking my hand in his. Encouragement shone in his eyes, and I felt better. My gaze calmly met Ms. Greenfeld’s again, and I sang.

No comments:

Post a Comment